1.11.2010

stuff

I have a lot of stuff. We're just going to put it that way. I have the tiniest apartment you've ever seen outside of NYC. Under my bed (which is totally enclosed) and in my closet are masterpieces of storage. We affectionately call the closet the Black hole of Calcutta. I keep a fairly firm handle on the rest of the house and don't let the clutter take over (no thanks to my husband, who thinks if a surface is flat he Must! Put! Something! There!) Sometimes I feel like I am battling uphill, like in the weeks after Christmas. Woe the weeks after Christmas. Sometimes I don't always feel like I succeed.
Breakthrough! I'm watching Hoarders on A&E. I totally feel like I'm content with the system now. My quasi-organized closet? JUST FINE. My under-the-bed hidey hole storage? PERFECT. The books e v e r y w h e r e?? THRILLED!
Sometimes a little perspective helps.

Now that I have made it sound like I feel like I am so much better than these people....
Let's take a moment to say that I know that that isn't right. These people are sick. Really, truly, mentally ill and would NEVER claim to be a better person based on that. More like I can see that it could be a LOT worse, and I am grateful for what I have and what I can do. I know I'll spend the rest of my life cleaning off the flat surfaces, and I'm ok with that.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Flat surfaces are magnets to husbands. They must be. I have the same problem with my hubby. Not only does his personal *stuff* outnumber mine (I keep what I need, toss the rest) he also has military *stuff* : gear, BDUs, papers, manuals, etc. Oh and since when did the beautiful cobalt blue vases I bought in Belgium end up becoming the catch-alls for the contents of hubby's pockets?
Speaking of the weeks after Christmas, I finally got the tree down after searching for the boxes my hubby hid before leaving for Korea. I guess he didnt think I'd actually *need* the boxes for the ornaments. Now that the living room is Christmas-decor free, I discover once again that the family's idea of cleaning is to stuff everything under the sofas. Grrr. The cycle of cleaning is neverending.